Apr 26, 2009

What are the problems that we face as Apostates?


“Potential physical harm, ridicule and outrage, hostility from muslims I used to know ”– Pazuzu bin Hanbi, UK

“I haven`t had any real problems as apostate, except offensive comments from muslims on the Internet. Few people even knew I was muslim and I didn`t have any close muslim friend who would care about my religion. Some are muslims simply for their family tradition and don`t actually care if someone is leaving islam. Unfortunately many muslims aren`t like that. ”– Maddalena, Finland

“Running into brothers from the mosque around town, who haven't seen me in ages, and ask if I am still practicing. Many have done hajj and studied in places like Yemen, so I have been afraid to answer directly for fear they would wish me dead. ”– Jim, USA

“Death threats.”– Anonymous

“I don't communicate with any Muslims out of fear.”– Onewing, USA

“I have to stay in the closet now. Not even my family members know about this. I still have to perform my routine duties in order not to attract any attention to my true beliefs.”– Anonymous

“I have to face my family and their disapproval of me . I can't openly say that I left Islam to my relatives because I would be cast out and made a laughing stock. I do not want the arranged marriage with a muslim girl so I have to go find one. But thoughout my life I've avoided speaking with girls so I have learn to. And if I do my relatives and family would completely turn against me.”– Anonymous, Canada

“Fear that I will be attacked by a family member or friend of the family in an honor killing”– Anonymous, USA

“As above, the verbal threats of hell from Muslims. ”– Drak, Australia

“The scale of good and bad for people is Islam and for me it's just the mind and the nature so imagine the problems, the so many good things considered to be bad by my family and my society.”– loveandpeaceforeverything, Algeria

“None- I live in a Western country and am pretty mobile. I was never extremely outspoken about my religion, so it's not like I have to go around explaining myself to those with whom I have been out of contact.”– Anonymous

“As I am not a true Apostate I fortunately do not have to fear anything.”– Peace4u, Germany

“None, really. But it's fun to irritate and shock strict Muslim girls. I get into debates with them. One time, I told a Muslim girl that I don't go to Mosque because it's boring and that surprised her. Also, I told her I can see the value of eating halal because it's clean, to which she replied, but you're buying Doritos. To which I replied, well I'm hungry. I was also on a forum called Talk about Islam, and when I asked certain questions, no one could answer.”– Illyria, Canada

“I have told no one that I am an apostate. ”– Vivian

“Muslims - insisting that they can make you come back to the fold or think you want to but are somehow 'lost'!!”– Malayfreethinker

“I don't know what is right or wrong anymore.”– bonuke, USA

“I don't know why but the people like to speculate about why I changed my religion and they like to make up reasons for it rather than listen to my own explanations. They still try to persuade me to come back. they say i neglect to see the truth. It is on the contrary.”– Friend, Finland

“Contact cut off from my family, loss of family.”– Anonymous, USA

“Only awkwardness in explaining about my past to people who don't understand. ”– Eva, USA

“Lack of freedom to move around, unable to obtain a job.”– Elixx

“Inability to record my present religion on the National Registration Identity Card. Inability to register my marriage with the registration department. And I might not be able to register myself as the father of my future child.”– Adam, Malaysia

“Unable to change my religion on my registration.”– Juniper, Malaysia



“As I have kept my apostasy secret I do not face the problems those who publicly announce their apostasy do. However, I am not at liberty to behave like a non-Muslim for fear of being found out. For example, I'd like to change my name as I have a very Islamic sounding one. But to do so would arouse suspicion from my family so I can’t. Also, I would like to start dating but if I did so I'd have to keep it secret from my family. I don't think a secretive relationship would be acceptable to a prospective partner unless she was in the same situation as me.”– Ben Rukhsana, Britain

“Family, friends, community rejection and loss of emotional/mental connection, loss of dignity among Muslim peers (if hiding)” - Abu Lahab, USA

“Starting a new life without the support from others (emotionally & financially). Also the guilt you feel - it is embedded in you after so many years - it is hard to just break away emotionally. Loss of sleep and anxiety also follow.” – Anonymous

“I tell as few people as possible that I am an apostate, thereby limiting the quantitative aspect of my social life.” – Amin, Canada

“The biggest is that I cannot share my beliefs with the public (except few close friends). I feel part of my emotions are bottled up, as if I have a secret I can not share.“– Sheraz Malik, USA

“Personal vilification by Muslims who know.”– Hale, USA

“Having to lie to people.”– Ron Jeremy, Malaysia

“I have to be careful in talking about Islam, lest I am being marked for annihilation.” – Abul Kasem, Australia

“I wouldn't dare go visiting any Islamic nations. Not only would they probably kill me for my apostasy, I literally could NOT face ever putting a hejab on EVER again and I'd probably be arrested for going without even if they didn't realize I was an apostate.” – Ampbreia,USA

“At this point, none - outside trying to show my fellow liberals / leftists that Islam, as a social and political philosophy, shares more with the very conservative movements, not with "progressive" thought.”– Bean, USA

“My relationship with my family will never be the same.”– Anonymous
(ယုံၾကည္ခ်က္ ။ ။ မုဒိမ္းေကာင္ လူရမ္းကား ၀ါဒကုိ ေဒါသမထြက္ပါနဲ႔… ႏွိပ္ကြပ္ရလုိ႔လဲ ပီတိမျဖစ္ပါနဲ႔. . . ကုလားကုိလဲ လူမ်ဳိးေရး မႏွိပ္ကြပ္ပါနဲ႔ . . အဲဒါေတြက အက်ဳိးမရွိပါဘူး။ ယုတ္ညံ့သည့္ ၀ါဒဆုိးၾကီးကုိ ျဖဳိဖ်က္ေရးမွာ ခင္ဗ်ားကုိယ္တုိင္ အုတ္တစ္ခ်ပ္ သဲတစ္ပြင့္အျဖစ္ လုပ္ကုိင္ေရးက လက္ေတြ႔အက်ဆုံးျဖစ္ပါသည္ )

No comments: